Box Office Shocker: “Chainsaw” Tops “Django” & “Les Mis”!
“On the same weekend last year, The Devil Inside debuted to $33.7 million.”[THR]
Don’t cry for Anne Hathaway, she’s still going to win the Oscar. But Les Miserables, Django Unchained, and The Hobbit all met with a surprise champ this weekend at the box office when Texas Chainsaw 3D outgrossed (literally and figuratively) all of them. I blame you, mall tweens.
According to preliminary reports, TC3D took in an opening haul of $23 million, enough to top second place Django which managed to rack up an additional $20.1 million. It has now crossed the $100 million mark at the North American box office and will most likely end up as the highest earning Tarantino movie to date.
The Hobbit came in third with $17.5 million, bringing its domestic total to $263.8 million. Its global haul, meanwhile, stands at a massive $820 million. The billion dollar mark is but a hobbit’s footstep away.
Les Miserables also passed the $100 million mark domestically and continues to play to mostly older audiences. Matt Damon’s Promised Land debuted in a disappointing 10th place open with just $4.3 million.
The official top ten list is as follows:
1. Texas Chainsaw 3D – $23 million.
2. Django Unchained – $20.1 million
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – $17.5 million
4. Les Miserables – $16.1 million
5. Parental Guidance – $10.1 million
6. Jack Reacher – $9.3 million
7. This Is 40 – $8.6 million
8. Lincoln – $5.3 million
9. The Guilt Trip – $4.5 million
10. Promised Land – $4.3 million